Sunday, February 1, 2009

#18 Web-based Apps

I have used some of the Google Docs, but when I went to Zoho....Wow! I liked a lot of the extra things they offered - like a to-do list. Maybe I've just never run across it in the Google offerings, but the Zoho menu seemed extensive. I emailed myself a to-do list on my gmail account.

I checked out some of the PowerPoint templates, and saw some fresh new designs. I snagged one that I may use for my lecture and class handouts for the Online Health Information class I'm teaching in a couple of weeks.

I also looked at some of the Google templates for schedules - we're always on the lookout for an easier way to do staff schedules and desk schedules at MB.

I am addicted to my flash drive - I carry my life around on it, and I'm always worried that I haven't saved updates to my home, work or other work computers in case my flash drive goes missing. So the concept of Web-apps is great - I can just work in Google or Zoho or...OpenOffice (is that a web app or just an open source Office-like tool?)...and get to my files wherever I am - that's fantastic! No more flash drive "necklace" getting left in whatever workstation I was last at. This has great promise for me. How secure is all this info?

No comments: